The coat of arms of Trujillo , Peru, was granted on December 7, 1537 by Emperor Carlos V, through a Royal Decree that legitimized the formation of one of the most important cities of the Viceroyalty.
Trujillo is the capital of the Peruvian department of La Libertad. It is located on the north coast of the country, in a territorial extension of 50 square kilometers. With 1,037,110 inhabitants, it is the third most populated city in the country.
From a historical point of view, the city is of great importance as it is considered the cradle of the Judicial Power of Peru.
The foundation of Trujillo was made official by Francisco Pizarro on March 5, 1535, under the name of Trujillo de Nueva Castilla.
In 1537, the town council commissioned Hernando de Ceballos, procurator of the councils of Nueva Castilla, to travel to Spain to request from the Crown the rank of city and the corresponding coat of arms.
In response to the request, Emperor Carlos V and his mother, Queen Juana, issued the Royal Decree that legitimized the formation of the city of Trujillo and granted it its coat of arms.
In accordance with the historical context and heraldic symbolism, the elements of the Trujillo coat of arms are interpreted as follows:
The blue field
It symbolizes loyalty, obedience, justice, the obligation to serve and protect agriculture, as well as to help those in need.
The waves of the sea and the columns of Hercules
They signify the strength and firmness of Spanish rule that extends beyond the ocean.
The letter K in gold
From the German Karolus, it means the dominance of the Emperor Charles V over the conquered kingdoms.
The royal gold crown crossed by two staves
It represents the Spanish monarchy and the submission of the American peoples to it.
The two staves arranged in a cross allude to the Burgundy Cross, whose symbolism in heraldry refers to the undefeated leader in combat.
The mythological griffin (body of a lion and head of an eagle) looking to the right and embracing the shield
It means strength, boldness, speed, firmness, vigilance and reflection against flatterers.
Variations after the Trujillo shield
The Trujillo shield has undergone more than 30 changes in its structure and presentation.
In 1689 the letter K was replaced by C and the tap was removed.
In the middle of the 18th century, a shield with parchment curves and a robust griffin with large wings and a ferocious expression was published by the magistrate Miguel Feijóo de Sosa.
In the 19th century, as a result of the loss of the first book and the Royal Certificate, the shield was deformed.
This resulted in an excessive proliferation of versions during the 20th century that managed to be stopped by the middle of the century.
In the 1960s, the lost Trujillo Royal Cédula de Armas reappeared at an auction held in a London bookstore.
The original document was delivered to the municipality of Trujillo and from then on its use as the official insignia of the city was decreed.
- Trujillo Coat of Arms. (November 24, 2010). In: trujillopatrimoniodelahumanidad.com.
- Trujillo Shield. (October 7, 2017). In: es.wikipedia.org.
- Escudo de Trujillo underwent more than 30 changes in its presentation. (May 21, 2015). In: trujilloinforma.com.
- Title of City and the Coat of Arms of Truxillo del Peru. Retrieved on November 23, 2017 from: truxillo.pe.
- Trujillo (Peru). (November 13, 2017). In: es.wikipedia.org.