A historical recount is the presentation of a series of events in a chronological way, in order to expose some events that occurred in a specific period of time.
The main characteristic of historical accounts is that they are prepared in a type of explanatory text, where the events are clearly and precisely exposed. That is why it is important that the person who does it, has the correct handling of information, as well as the ability to describe the facts in a logical way.
For some specialists, historical accounts are based in turn on the chronology and on the revision of the historical events already carried out, since through these, it is possible to reconstruct the times in a more or less precise way.
These types of materials allow clearer ideas about lifestyles, the development of societies, and influential people.
Relationship with chronology
The historical account is based on chronology, the social science in charge of knowing the exact origin of the events that occurred in the past, ordering them in turn in a timeline.
The chronologies follow the order given by the dates set and then place them in a situational context. Its precision is based on historical records, chronicles and other documents, thus becoming a fundamental pillar in fields of study such as history and anthropology.
In view of the above, it can be said that thanks to this tool, it is possible to create clear and didactic materials.
Some important features can be named in this regard:
-It is a type of explanatory narration, since it relates a series of situations that happened in a period of time.
-The writing is done in prose, so there must be a chronological and linear order.
-Due to the degree of research and information crossing, it is recommended that this type of material be made by specialists and historians.
-It is understood that it seeks two main objectives: the illustration of a historical moment and highlight the importance it has in the current context.
-In some documents, anecdotes, statements by the main characters and even third party testimonies are also included. It is believed to be an interesting way to add rhythm and dynamism to the text, while offering factual accuracy.
-For some specialists, it is possible to integrate reflections by the authors.
-It is a type of chronological story, since it is supported by dates, geographical places and real names.
-The historical count follows the following structure: beginning, middle and end. At this point it is important to highlight two aspects to take into account: the stories will be presented in the past tense and the author should have an explanatory role.
It consists of three essential parts:
-Introduction: it should not be more than one paragraph, since it is used to name the historical event, the date it took place and part of the important characters.
-Development or body: this will explain the facts in greater depth, likewise, anecdotes, testimonies and other facts related to what is being narrated are also included.
-Closure or auction: the outcome of the historical events will be shown and the placement of some final reflection may even be included.
Items found in a historical count
– Characters : the author must take into account that he must be careful with that particular element, since it is advisable to explain those that only represent a type of historical relevance.
– Space : in this particular case it is important to investigate in depth to be clear about what the place where the events took place looked like. It is important to make a detailed description and as close to reality.
– Time : it does not refer exclusively to the chronology of events, but also to the modes that were found at the time. This includes how they spoke, how they dressed, the economy and even the social classes of the time.
– Motivation : this can be considered as an additional element, since they imply the reasons why such a historical event was described.
How to do a historical count?
To do this, the following steps must be followed:
-Choose a character or historical event.
-Proceed to review the different sources that speak about the chosen topic.
-Get the necessary data to later cross-check the information. To do this, it must be taken into account that all possible sources must be available.
-Determine which are the most important events, accompanied by dates and places in chronological order and in a logical manner.
-Make an introduction , without forgetting that the verbs must be in the past tense and that the facts must be described with method.
-Proceed with the body and with the closing of the text. Personal reflections should preferably be placed in a section of the text.
-Review the wording and the order of events at the end. The important thing is to check that no jumps have been made in history and that the veracity has been respected at all times.
Regarding the above, a series of recommendations is made:
-Integrate testimonies and anecdotal data in order to give dynamism to the text.
-Rely on good chronologies to ensure the accuracy of the facts.
-Avoid using language that is too technical or poetic because these can overload the text and make it difficult to understand.
-Extracted from El Pensante: “… According to historical sources, Columbus set sail from Puerto de Palos, on August 3, 1492, as the captain of three boats: the Niña, the Pinta and the Santa María, the which had one hundred and twenty men on board ”.
-Extracted from Definition.de: “The first settlers arrived on this island in 1562. They were Nordic explorers who settled in the island territory when they noticed that it was uninhabited.”
-Extracted from El Pensante: “During 1857, the American inventor Antonio Santi Giuseppe Meucci (1808-1889), built the first telephone, capable of transmitting the human voice from one place to another, through a cable, in order to to be able to communicate with his wife, from one room to the other ”.
- Characteristics of a historical count. (sf). In El Pensante. Retrieved: October 3, 2018. In El Pensante de educacion.elpensante.com.
- How to make a historical account according to the universal structure. (2018). In Self-Help Resources. Retrieved: October 3, 2018. In Self-help Resources at Recursosdeautoayuda.com.
- Chronology. (sf). On Wikipedia. Retrieved: October 3, 2018. In Wikipedia at es.wikipedia.org.
- Definition of chronology. (sf). In Definition.of. Retrieved: October 3, 2018. In Definition.de de definition.de.
- Definition of historical count. (sf). In Definition.of. Retrieved: October 3, 2018. In Definition.de de definition.de.
- Historical count example. (sf). In El Pensante. Retrieved: October 3, 2018. In El Pensante de educacion.elpensante.com.
- Write a historical account. (sf). In Wikiversity. Retrieved: October 3, 2018. In Wikiversidad de es.wikiversity.org.