Forajeria is an expression used in Argentina to refer to establishments where, primarily, they distribute products and food for livestock, as well as fertilizers and pesticides.
Likewise, it is estimated that this comes from the word “forage”, which is used to name the plants that serve as food for all types of livestock. It is worth mentioning that this type of business has expanded its services over time, since it has included the sale of products for pets and, in some cases, even veterinary services.
Some specialists indicate that this is a profitable sector, despite competition or fluctuations in the economy, mainly due to the public’s interest in obtaining the best supplies for their pets.
Therefore, it is common to find recommendations and advice for those who are interested in this type of commercial activity.
“Forajeria” is an Argentine idiom that refers to the premises of sale and distribution of food for domestic and breeding animals.
As noted above, it is estimated that its origin comes from “forage”, which is an expression used to refer to grass used as food for livestock.
As it happens in terms widely used by a certain group, it is difficult to find the exact moment in which the use of this expression arose, especially because it must be taken into account that the Spanish spoken in Argentina has lunfried influences and indigenous languages .
Initially, the forage plants were centers for the distribution and sale of animal feed, pesticides and fertilizers. Even other products such as eggs and meats for human consumption were also included.
Although some establishments maintain this same model, the supply of forage products has expanded significantly. In fact, you can name a few examples:
-Foods for dogs and cats.
-Food for other species: fish, turtles, birds, hamsters. They can also be found for exotic animals but that will depend on the establishment.
-Accessories for dogs and cats: trays, leashes, toys, chains, clothing, feeders and even cosmetic line.
-Accessories for other domestic animals: fins, drinkers, cages, fish tanks.
-Accessories for breeding animals: horseshoes, nails, bandages, reins.
-Foods for large animals: alfalfa cubes, food for rabbits, birds (chickens, hens), rabbits, pigs, calves, cattle.
-Other products such as alfalfa rolls, ground corn, whole corn, oats, sorghum, oats.
-Medical care for small and large animals: at this point it is worth noting that this will depend on the licenses and permits you have on site.
How to put a fodder?
In recent years, forageries have become a very popular type of business, due to the strong demand that exists for these establishments, especially in cities.
That is why even entrepreneurs and specialists in the business world have established a series of steps, as well as important advice, for those who are interested in this regard:
– Establish the business idea : when creating a forage it is important to define that it is a retail business specialized in the sale and distribution of food and items for animals.
It is worth mentioning that it is necessary to handle basic knowledge about feeding and animal care.
– Research : this is one of the most important phases in the process, since it consists of studying various components: the market, its demands and the competition. This last point in particular must be paid attention, since there are a significant number of establishments of this type.
After being clear about these aspects, the second part consists of studying a good location for the premises. Creating a good point ensures a smooth movement of customers.
– Definition of the products to offer : some specialists suggest dividing by categories what will be for sale. For example, regarding food: main line focused on cats and dogs; then a second but specialized in other types such as fish and birds.
In terms of point, some specialists suggest starting with a small number of products but with the mentality of expanding the offer, as long as fluctuations in demand are monitored.
– Rental of the premises : it is important to rent a cheap premises, even if it is well located.
The entrance and the display cases , which are the impression of the personality of the store, so they must be focused on displaying the products properly.
Decoration : includes the furniture and the distribution of the products in the store.
The staff : must be specialized in the treatment of animals and capable of meeting the demands of customers, as they require.
Invest in advertising : for the establishment to become known, it is important to make the investment corresponding to advertising and promotion. At this point, you can come up with attractive ideas such as promotions, offers, and even contests where customers’ pets are involved.
Other expenses : it implies the disbursement for the payments of the basic services, payment of the personnel, maintenance of the store and payment for the inspection and taxes.
Tips and recommendations
Opening an entry of this type requires responsibility, therefore they establish a series of recommendations in this regard:
-Keep an open mind regarding the offer of other products and services, although this will depend on the growth of the premises. A good example in this case can be home delivery of products, daycare, hairdressing and even training.
In any of the cases, they are proposals that can be a differentiating factor with respect to the competition.
-Starting with the essentials can be the key to success, since animal products require a significant investment.
-When considering the idea of having pets in the store, it is suggested to bear in mind the care that dogs and cats require. This is because, mainly, the demand goes down when they stop being puppies.
-A key recommendation is to become familiar with the care and hygiene of the specimens that are sold, because otherwise customers will not feel comfortable or confident with what is offered.
- Consult: Strategy for a forage. (sf). In Marketineros. Retrieved: September 26, 2018. In Marketineros de marketineros.com.
- Forage. (sf). On Wikipedia. Retrieved: September 26, 2018. In Wikipedia at es.wikipedia.org.
- Forage. (sf). In WordReference. Retrieved: September 26, 2018. In WordReference at forum.wordreference.com.
- Forage. (sf). In WordReference. Retrieved: September 26, 2018. In WordReference at wordreference.com.
- Set up a Pet Food Store. (2011). In Business and Entrepreneurial Initiative. Retrieved: September 26, 2018. At Empresaeiniciativaemprendedora.com Business and Entrepreneurial Initiative.
- Meaning of forage. (sf). In Open and Collaborative Dictionary. Retrieved: September 26, 2018. In Open and Collaborative Dictionary of meaningde.org.
- Business plan to set up a pet store. (2016). In Entrepreneurs. Retrieved: September 26, 2018. In Emprendedores de emprendedores.es.
- Products. (sf). In Forage and Veterinary Don Cacho. Retrieved: September 26, 2018 from forrajeriadoncacho.com.ar