The 1200 calorie diet is a low calorie diet based on low calorie consumption to lose weight. The opinion of those who have tried it is very different from one person to another, some assuring that they are left hungry, that they do not lose weight or that it is very effective. We tell you about its characteristics, controversy and we also propose a menu.
A diet based on the consumption of 1200 calories a day can be classified into the so-called hypocaloric diets. These are based on the restriction of a number of calories per day, the intake being less than those burned.
Depending on the basal metabolism of a person and their physical activity, the number of calories in the diet may vary. By ingesting a lower amount of calories, the body consumes calories from adipose tissue, losing weight and lowering the body’s volume. They are the most common type of diet and are used especially in people who are overweight and obese.
Weekly 1200 calorie diet menu
We have taken as reference a weekly menu published in ‘Good House Keeping’, a renowned American women’s magazine that deals with topics such as beauty, health and nutrition.
In their publication, they say that by following this diet for 90 days, you can lose about 9 kilos.
– ¾ of a cup of fiber cereal with skim milk and a banana
– Whole wheat sandwich with turkey breast, roasted half a bell pepper dressed with a low-fat mayonnaise, mustard and lettuce.
– Skim mozzarella cheese bar.
– 2 kiwis.
– 120 grams of grilled sole.
– 2 sliced tomatoes with grated Parmesan cheese.
– 1 cup of couscous .
– 1 cup steamed broccoli
– 1 cup fat-free pudding
– Smoothie (or fruit shake) made with a cup of frozen berries, half a banana and 200 ml of fat-free milk.
– Half of a roll spread with light margarine
– A plate of soup with vegetables
– 1 vegetable burger with lettuce and sauce inside a whole wheat bread
– 1 natural yogurt
– Between 75 and 100 grams of grapes (15 approximately)
– 200 grams of chicken breast with barbecue sauce on the grill
– Half a bowl of baked beans
– 3 boiled red potatoes topped with light margarine and a little dill
– Half a cup of quick cooking oatmeal and skim milk, half an apple, a teaspoon of honey and a pinch of cinnamon
– Salad consisting of 120 grams of roast chicken breast, red grapes, a tablespoon of almonds, low-fat mayonnaise and lettuce.
– 1 banana
– 120 grams of steamed shrimp
– 1 baked potato covered with three tablespoons of some sauce and one tablespoon sour cream
– 500 grams of steamed spinach
– 1 low-fat ice cream
– Half toast of margarine combined with an apple and grated low-fat cheese.
– 1 light yogurt with 80 grams of almonds
– Soup with tomato
– Sandwich on whole wheat bread with thin slices of roast beef, spicy radish , mustard, lettuce and a couple of tomato slices
– 200 grams of raw vegetables
– 1 pear
– 100 grams of poached salmon
– Salad with 50 grams of cabbage, 2 sliced onions and a little fat-free mayonnaise
– 150 grams of cooked brown rice
– 1 can of pineapple in its juice
– 200 grams of cereals with fiber and 250 ml of non-fat milk combined with 95 grams of berries, 80 grams of sliced almonds
– 1 Whole wheat pancake with 200 grams of grated low-fat cheese and 50 grams of beans
– 100 grams of cottage cheese combined with mandarin orange segments
– 1 cucumber
– 100 grams of roast pork
– 200 grams of baked pumpkin with puree and cinnamon
– Salad with lettuce, broccoli, bell pepper and onion with two tablespoons of mayonnaise or other fat-free sauce
– 1 light yogurt with 200 grams of berries
– A waffle or toast with butter and a sliced banana
– 250 ml of fat-free milk
– A tuna pita / kebab with light mayonnaise, mustard, cucumber and sliced onion
– 10 small carrots
– 1 light yogurt combined with half a banana
– 150 grams of rice combined with chicken, raw ham or prawns.
– 300 grams of steamed spinach
– 1 apple
– Half a bun accompanied by low-fat cheese, spinach, a slice of tomato and poached egg
– 1 grapefruit
– Bean salad (100 grams) combined with mandarin orange segments, red pepper, onion and a teaspoon of fat-free mayonnaise sauce
– 1 mini pita / kebab of whole wheat tuna or chicken bread
– 1 pear
– 100 grams of grilled beef
– 1 baked sweet potato spread with light margarine
– 200 grams of steamed zucchini
– 1 can of pineapple in its juice.
For the diet to take effect, you should avoid drinking alcoholic or sugar-rich beverages, as well as taking a multivitamin and a calcium supplement (400 milligrams a day).
Starting a diet is always dangerous if it is not properly controlled. Weight loss sometimes brings dangers to the body such as malnutrition. Some nutritionists claim that following a diet that forces you to consume less than 1,200 calories is a health hazard.
The intake of fewer calories than necessary will mean a decrease in the metabolism of the individual, retaining fat from the intake of protein and muscle tissue in order to obtain energy.
A low calorie diet results in an increase in metabolism, which in turn encourages the consumption of synthetic supplements that are not always effective. This lack of control would lead to heart rhythm and blood pressure problems.
On the other hand, diets that ensure the weekly weight loss of 0.5 to 1 kilo, normally have a rebound effect that causes that once it is stopped, it causes a very rapid weight gain in the individual.
Finally, diets of less than 1,200 calories try to suppress as much as possible fat, protein and carbohydrates, three macronutrients that play very important functions in the body.
The specialists do agree that this type of diet is not recommended for individuals who meet any of the requirements:
– People who have suffered heart disease (arrhythmias, heart attacks, angina …)
– People with cerebrovascular problems
– People with a history of anorexia or bulimia
– People who suffer from alcohol dependence
– People with diseases who take medicines that reduce the number of proteins in the body
– Pregnant and lactating
– Certain children and adolescents
– Certain people aged 65 or over
– People with certain diseases (gout, diabetes, emotional disorders, cholelithiasis, etc.)
And what results has the 1200 calorie diet given you?